Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Ramadan....The month of fasting and the month to reflect.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, which lasts 29 or 30 days. It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking and intimacy with their partners during daylight hours and is intended to teach Muslims about patience, spirituality, humility and submissiveness to God. Muslims fast for the sake of God (Allah) and to offer more prayer than usual.

It's also a time to reflect and think about what wrongs or sins that we have done in our life. This is the month where self discipline, patience and Iman is greatly tested in our daily lives. Be it at work, school, home or travelling, it gives us an opportunity to cleanse our mind, body and soul. Well as for me, i look forward to cutting down on all the oily food stuff! I had enough of unwanted oil in my body already!....It's time to cleanse. Usually, for the fasting month, i don't eat too much after break fast. Just a meal and plenty of fluids will do me good. Patience during this month is another challenge for me, as i am a hot-headed person, not too hot that is. So this is a test of my patience for whatever crap that has been thrown in my way, be it at work, with friends or at home. Problems do arise but i have just got to deal with it!....

Preparations for Hari Raya this year will be simple and straight forward. Paint the house, clean my room, change the curtains and bake some cakes for guests to eat!. A staple in my family has always been the Kek Lapis Durian and Kek Roll Nutella!....Hmmm...Already looking forward to it!....Damn, control yourself man!...Fasting has just started and already been thinkin' about food again!.....Anyways, the normal dishes for Hari Raya are favorites such as Lontong, Sayor Lodeh, Rendang, Lemang, Satay, Sambal Goreng and many other dishes.( Too many to mention, hehe) I love it when my aunt cooks these dishes and has been for the past 10 years. She really cooks like my late grandmother, whom i assume is the best cook in the family, and her dishes really reminds me of way back when i was under the care of my late grandma. She was a former food vendor in the 70's at Seah Im Road selling malay dishes and taking care of 9 children (my mom, aunts and my uncles) at the same time!....She is the most hardworking person that i have ever known in my life!.....

Well, i have 26 more days of Ramadan left. Hopefully everything goes well without a hitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment....